CiteRight for Microsoft Office v3.0
CiteRight 3.0 contains significant new features and stability and security improvements. However, as a result of new database and architecture design, documents created with CiteRight version 3.0 will no longer be compatible when opened in CiteRight version 2.7.4 or earlier.
Upon opening in CiteRight Version 3.0, all references in documents created with earlier versions of CiteRight will be updated to the latest format to ensure older documents function as expected with version 3.0. Once updated, they will not be backward compatible with earlier versions.
For more information on migrating to version 3.0 see our Migration Guide.
- Instant rendering is now enabled by default. See how to turn it off here.
- Location of Preferences and Logout buttons have changed positions to promote the Preferences button.
- Tooltips that describe the functions of each ribbon button are now available when the user hovers over the ribbon buttons.
- CiteRight now includes a message discouraging users from adding confidential or client-identifying information in CM Number dialogs.
- For enhanced security, users will now be logged out of Word after 7 days of inactivity. For anyone using a version of CiteRight prior to this release 2.8.0, you will need to log out and log back in for CiteRight to work correctly.
- Collections of authorities are now accessible directly within Microsoft Word. See our help document here.
- Users can now see a list of references that are included in their document in the MS Word side panel. Learn more about how to use this feature.
- Users can now jump to the indicated paragraph on the first page of each case in the BOA. See how you can customize your BOA to add this feature.
- Short forms for custom references will no longer be italicized by default.
- Supras will no longer exclude pinpoints when they contain the same pinpoints as the previous reference.
- The Word add-in will no longer crash when an unrecognized case format is saved to the library.
- Certain citation errors will no longer require closing and reopening Word.
- Books of authorities will no longer exclude cases after re-ordering the references that are cited more than once.
- CiteRight will no longer crash when a user converts a CiteRight enabled Word document to PDF format using the Adobe add-on in word.
- CiteRight will no longer crash when a user attempts to convert a CiteRight enabled Word document to PDF format using the Nuance PDF desktop converter.
- PDF sub-headers for cases downloaded from CanLII will no longer be included in the book of authorities.
- Saved or custom references that include quotation marks in their titles will no longer cut off the bookmarks in the book of authorities.
- Blockquotes spanning multiple paragraphs in CanLII cases will no longer include the “copy citations” text in between the paragraphs.
- Overwriting a footnote marker will no longer crash Word.
- Citing a reference at the end of a table row will no longer crash Word. Instead, users will receive an error.
- After converting a document created with an older version of CiteRight (versions 1.4.17- 2.7.2 hotfix 3), users will no longer have to click on an in-text citation twice to activate it and view it in the side panel.
- Version strings for patch releases no longer include the word “hotfix.”
Released October 28, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.7.4
- Users will no longer be prevented from installing the CiteRight MS Word Add-In in a French version of Word (please note that this only refers to the installation of the Add-In and not the language of the case or associated citation)
September 9, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.7.3
- User can now view cases from the SCC without a parallel SCR reference in the MS Word Add-In side panel
September 7, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.7.2
- Updated system to fix a backend error class of Interop errors. Now, the user will no longer need to restart Word when this error is triggered
Released August 15, 2020
- Ribbon buttons will no longer be active when Word is opened without an active document
- VSTO issues with CiteRight will no longer be present when users upgrade to Office 365
- Short forms will no longer leave out pinpoints in the ibid or supra formats
Released June 23, 2020
- Users will no longer experience issues generating a book of authorities due to a misalignment of index and citations in the document
- The status of previously excluded references in a book of authorities will update correctly if included once again
Released June 19, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.7.1
- Users will now need to choose to have their citations updated in real-time or to manually update. Default is set to not auto render any references
Released June 12, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.7.0
- Users will now need to choose to have their citations updated in real-time or to manually update. Default is set to not auto render any references
- User can now turn auto rendering to on to update references as they are cited or turn it off to manually render references
- CiteRight button in the Microsoft Word ribbon will remain responsive after switching documents
- CiteRight details panel will no longer open by default when a new document is created or when switching between documents.
- Errors when inserting block quotes have been resolved
- User will now be able to update references in older documents
- The long name of Book of Authorities will not appear for all unique references in the document
Released May 25, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.6
- Users can now view and add a collaborator to receive notifications about the status of a book of authorities from Microsoft Word
- Additional work page will not contain any duplicates when a custom reference is cited multiple times throughout a document
- CiteRight button on the Word ribbon will not become unresponsive any longer after switching between documents
- The collaborator dialogue window will now be centered when switching between documents
- The collaborator button will no longer be disabled after saving a document and re-opening it
- The preferences menu will no longer be hidden after generating a hyperlinked Book of Authorities
- User will no longer be directed to the last used preference after selecting the preferences from the Generate Book of Authorities screen
- User will no longer have issues updating a reference cited in the text once it is cited
Released April 28, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.5
- Icons in the add-in have been updated
- The sync status indicator has been changed to a badge format
- Paragraphs in the ToA, index page, and on the first page of each case are now hyphenated
- BOA button now includes tooltip that shows the current status
- Users can now insert a ToA without first generating a BoA in Word add-in
- Users can now create a hyperlink to a specific paragraph or case in the pdf
- Generate BoA feature should generate both document and BoA when the hyperlink to BoA option is enabled
- User sees content control error when updating a reference
- The system now recognizes incompatibilities and disables the Word Add-In if incompatible
- Users no longer sees content control error when updating a reference after inserting a blockquote. An alert window will now pop up when the user attempts to insert a block quote in content control.
- Hyperlinks from document to BOA now accommodate spaces
Released April 15, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.4
- The "About" window in the Microsoft Word Add-In now shows the version of the CiteRight
- User is now able to choose where to place a hyperlink in the reference
- User is now able to add a hyperlink to a custom reference
- User can now change the hyperlink of a downloaded source
- User can now customize whether the index page of the BOA includes pinpoints
- User can now include the pinpoints cited on the first page of each case
- Fixed exception when side panel in Word is opened
Released January 22, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.3
- References are now wrapped in content controls improving performance and agility of CiteRight references
- Downloaded content does not auto expire
- The format of the references in the side panel has been updated
- Users can now add source hyperlinks
- Users can customize how pinpoints are shown in their document
- The system now includes Headnotes (Westlaw only) in the full case text
- Users can now add an editable Table of Authorities and related pinpoints
- The preview panel now shows correct reference after the creation of custom cite
- The short title now only appears when a reference is shown more than once in a document
- Undo actions for CiteRight references are now tracked more directly
- BOA now renders when pinpoints CiteRight does not recognize are indicated
Released January 15, 2020
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.2
- Client matter has moved to its own tab
- Custom numbering is now available for pinpoints
- BOA tab number formatting (Bold, Italics, and Underline) options are now available
- Ability to suppress the short form in the first reference
- BOA tab number placement can now be customized
- Style of cause will follow the formatting of the user (index page and running headers)
- Default styles for custom references have been removed
- Default formatting is no longer applied when custom references are copied between documents
- BoA short name is now replaced with long name when left blank in the preferences
- “Blankdocument” error has been solved
- User will no longer experience any lag while navigating their document
- Side panel behavior has been tightened
- BOA tab numbers do not clear for temp citations copied from one document to another
- CIteRight fields no longer show error when updated by a third party
- Fixed an issue related to deletion of a case where BOA’s will consider the case as if it was expired
Released December 12, 2019
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.1
- CiteRight is now integrated with NetDocuments.
- Disbursement reports are now available upon request
- Fixed the appearance of the pinpoint type not updating when the pinpoint type is changed from the Modify menu.
- Fixed an issue of copying custom citations between documents that caused delays in some instances.
Released November 5, 2019
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v2.0
- Removed ability to automatically add or remove periods from styles of cause until feature can be implemented consistently
- Users can now choose whether citations are rendered in full, or using back references such as ibid and supra
- Additional direct formatting can be applied to books of authorities
- CiteRight's Microsoft Word Add-In now operates without using a Windows background agent
- Books of authorities are now generated entirely on the client-side, without any data communication to CiteRight's servers
- CiteRight logging tools now include "sanity check" verifying presence of core CiteRight components in order to facilitate support and QA
- BOA sidebars are now slightly further from text
- Fixed formatting errors that could occur when generating books of authorities
- Fixed error where Word could occasionally not see the active document when CiteRight was enabled
- Fixed issue where new installations occasionally could not find location of PDF generator until computer was restarted
- Fixed issue where the Track Changes feature temporarily corrupted CiteRight citations
- Fixed bug where BOA dialog view failed to update after inserting new citations
- Fixed bug where "generate" button on BOA dialog view failed to deactivate while BOA was being generated
- Fixed issue where pinpoints appeared to jump between access panes
- Fixed issue where copying footnotes into main text caused Word to crash
- Other general fixes to citation rendering and formatting
Released October 15, 2019
CiteRight for Microsoft Office v1.0
- Users can now search the full text of a case in the MS Word Add- In sidebar
- User can now search by citations
- Improved the speed of BOA generation (should now take about 5-10 seconds based on a 500 page BOA)
- Sidebar, highlight or do both
- Decrease or increase the font for your BOA
- Updated BOA styling
- Added a running header across all cases in the BOA
- In text case search has been added!
- Company and User management system
- Client Matter number is mandatory for new documents
- Parallel citations from the Supreme Court of Canada where the SCR is a
- Multiple citations in the same footnote now allow you to add plain text in between citations
- Customer support can now assist you in re-parsing a case along with it metadata in case something isn't looking as it should
- Users can now see when their reference library was last refreshed
- Text entered into Short Form popup now correctly renders as roman, not italic
- Changing the reference name/pinpoint type/short form in details panel overrides the case name
- User can't delete temporary items, even when not in the document.
- Parser now detects block quotes in BOA or side panel for CanLII cases
- Merging two documents using the Microsoft Word "Compare" or merging two documents with the combine comments function no longer crashes CiteRight (please refer to the troubleshooting section for more on this bug fix)
- BOA generation for very long documents no longer times out
- Keyboard shortcuts in Microsoft Word 2010 now work
- Preferences, About and Help windows in the CiteRight Word Add-In now remain visible even when user minimizes Microsoft Word
- Search functioning has been improved to accommodate citation searching
- Dupe checker now blocks the user from downloading the same case from multiple search engines
- HTML tags no longer appear when a users adds spaces to the full name or short form of a citation
- Index entries in the BOA will not overlap one another
- Better paragraph identification for cases
- Footnotes in the CiteRight BOA are not displayed as end notes any longer
- Improved parser functionality for Westlaw cases
- Improved custom citation functionality
- More informative Additional Work page
- Searching for a decision was case sensitive and should not have been
- CanLII hyperlinks not showing consistently throughout a document
- Inserting a short form for a decision makes it un-searchable
- Globally modifying a decision removes the case text from the BOA
- CanLII Hyperlinks were included in the BOA and they have been removed from the BOA
- Clicking "update" on citation doesn't update paragraphs or citation preview
- BOA not inserting page breaks between "Tab" pages and "Missing" pages
- Navigation Panel is always redirected to first citation in a group of adjacent citations
- Clicking between two citations (one full text, the other ibid) doesn't refresh the side panel view
- Citations rendering hyphenated pinpoint ranges as single pinpoint, rather than multiple
- Slow insertion of a citation
- Side panel displaying wrong citation after adding adjacent citation
- Revert button should be grayed out when the item is an unchanged state
- When specifying paragraphs in pinpoint, only the first paragraph on the BOA is side barred
- Searching for text crashes Word
- Can't edit temporary citation items
- Buttons in the item details are cut off when opened in Word\
- Default width for login screen is too small
- CiteRight Panel-Panel dysfunctional across document
- Content downloaded from WestLaw does not render properly in MS Word side panel
- Odd behavior when opening up new windows in Microsoft Word
- Can't clear a search
- Search in the My companies page not working
- Validation link in validation email doesn't work
- Html characters showing when reference in parsed.
- BOA not generating and timing out for more than 10 references
- Paragraph numbers in sequence for temporary items are not included in the BOA.
- Inserting a short form to a reference does not return a search result in the item list
- Modifying a downloaded reference through the Modify button removes the case text from the BOA
Released July 15, 2019